Friday, November 16, 2007

Potica...A Long Lost Tradition.

I was watching TV the other day and a bakery was making Potica. I grew up with this dessert in my family and at every party all my life. Unfortunately for me, I never gave it a try until I was in college. Now I love it and I don't have the opportunity to eat it anymore.

This is a sweet bread roll, kinda a cross between a cinnamon roll and a bread, with lots and lots of walnuts. There are not a lot of desserts that people will pay $40 for a loaf of it. My Uncle use to sell dozens every year. As I get older, I hope to one day make this dessert myself, but I have a lot to learn before I am ready for that.

A bakery in Minnesota sells them on-line. They are the Italian Bakery. I can't imagine it being the same, but maybe I should give it a try. One patron remarked that, "Once you try it, everyone loves Potica." That is very true. At one social event outsiders huddled around the beer and everyone who knew what we were eating, sat down and begged for a piece. Growing up I thought it looked horrible, but I was so wrong.

As the holidays grow near, I long for those traditions of years past. Hope everyone has a great holiday.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...